Since large truck accidents involve more substantial injuries and higher medical bills, it’s not uncommon for victims of these crashes to be unable to assess the situation clearly. That’s where a truck accident lawyer in Atlanta comes in handy and helps the injured party take the appropriate steps toward recovery of damages.
“But how do I hire a big truck accident attorney?” you might be wondering. Before you start randomly calling personal injury lawyers near you, there are a handful of factors to consider.
We have a list of five expert tips you should know when searching for legal representation after a truck crash in Atlanta or elsewhere in Georgia. You’ll learn:
- How can a semi-truck accident lawyer help you?
- What are the benefits of having a personal injury attorney by your side?
- How to hire the right lawyer for your particular case?
How Can a Truck Accident Lawyer in Atlanta Help?
According to the American Trucking Associations, big rigs, 18-wheelers, semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, and other large trucks transport more than 71% of America’s resources. The cargo moved by trucks from point A to point B in our country accounts for more than $700 billion in gross freight revenues.
Trucking is a lucrative business, but also a dangerous one. In 2017 alone, more than 4,100 people died in truck accidents in the United States. Nearly 70% of these fatalities accounted for occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
While there is no legal obligation for you to hire an 18 wheeler accident lawyer to seek monetary compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses, doing so can help get a favorable outcome faster and for a higher settlement or award.
According to Martindale-Nolo Research’s 2017 personal injury study, being legally represented by an attorney helps you get a higher payout. As seen from the study, people who hired a lawyer received settlements or awards that were $60,000 higher, on average, compared to those who chose to enter into the complicated legal process without representation.
What Are the Benefits of Hiring an Atlanta Truck Accident Attorney?
Statistically speaking, truck crash victims who are represented by an attorney are less likely to get their personal injury claim devalued or denied.
One of the main differences between a truck accident and a regular car accident – other than the fact that crashes involving trucks result in more severe injuries and higher medical expenses – is that in most cases, the victim has to deal with both the truck driver and their trucking company.
Federal law imposes a long list of trucking regulations for trucking companies and their drivers. These regulations govern the maintenance of trucks, driving hours of commercial drivers, special speed limits, and other aspects of the trucking industry.
While causes of big truck accidents vary, insurance companies in Georgia are no strangers to calling the victims and offering seemingly lucrative settlements. Although accepting the settlement offer may seem like a great idea to many, the proposed sum is rarely reasonable.
Thus, the benefits of hiring a truck accident lawyer include:
- Get a prompt and fair evaluation of your truck accident case to know how much your damages and losses are worth;
- No need to deal with insurance companies that are constantly trying to either devalue or deny your claim;
- Although everyone is smart enough to do their own research to get the hang of laws, no amount of research can substitute a skilled truck accident lawyer standing by your side;
- You can focus on your physical recovery, while your attorney deals with the paperwork, calls, legal notices, negotiations, and other types of bureaucratic stuff;
- Your lawyer helps you determine the amount and sources of available coverage; and
- You have the ability to take legal action as soon as possible (you have no time to waste, as Georgia’s statute of limitations prevents you from filing a claim after two years from the date of the truck accident injury).
5 Expert Tips to Know When Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney
We’ve compiled a list of five most crucial expert tips to know when selecting a lawyer for your particular case.
- Experience. Ideally, you should look for an experienced lawyer who has handled many cases similar to yours. It’s also critical that your lawyer is familiar with local ordinances and laws in Atlanta.
- Resources. Your truck accident lawyer must possess the resources necessary to investigate facts and circumstances of the crash, collect and preserve evidence, obtain documentation from the trucking company, interview witnesses, and retain qualified experts to testify in court.
- Attorney’s fees. Most law firms in Georgia work on a contingency basis, which means you don’t owe your lawyer anything unless and until you recover money from the at-fault party. You need to look for a local law firm with reasonable attorney’s fees. Typically, the contingency fee represents a percentage of your gross settlement, and that percentage can be negotiated.
- Availability and communication. When selecting a truck accident attorney, it’s crucial to hire a well-versed professional who will start working on your case from day one. Your lawyer must be absorbed in your legal matter from head to toe. Avoid hiring a lawyer who constantly redirects you to their legal assistant or paralegal. Direct communication with your attorney is key in any legal matter.
- Comfortability. Last but not least, there’s the comfortability aspect to consider. The decision to hire a lawyer includes both objective and subjective elements. You need to use your objective judgment to hire a lawyer who has the necessary experience, resources, and availability with reasonable attorney’s fees. On the subjective side, you need someone you feel comfortable with and someone you can trust. You need a down-to-earth and compassionate lawyer with a positive attitude.
Luckily, if you need a truck accident lawyer in Atlanta who meets the criteria mentioned above, The Big Truck Attorneys at The Graham Firm can help you. We've been helping clients for more than 20 years and we offer a free case review. Let our lawyers evaluate your case for free by calling us at (404) 526-9955 or send us a message.